Thursday, August 21, 2014

Opposition in ALL Things, Rain or Shine!


Last night's rain soaked us through as effectively as a swimming pool.

"Are you ready?" my companion asked me. We'd parked three blocks from our appointment (the only available parking) and the rain was torrential. About half an inch had built up on the road, and I knew it would just pool itself into my flats as soon as stepped into that river.

"Yes," I said. "Let's run!" I pushed the car door open, stuck my head under the faucet of the sky, and started to run. My glasses were foggy with rain, and I followed Sister Tescher's footsteps blindly.

She decided to cut across the park to our member's house--a park that had become a mud pit. She turned around to head back out and around. "Too late!" I yelled. "Just go!" I waved her forward.

We arrived like two drowned puppies on our member's doorstep, and she laughed as she handed us towels. We dried ourselves off as best we could, but it was still two hours before I was dry again.

I realized I was dry again as I sat on a friend's couch, talking about the need for opposition. I explained how much I enjoyed being in her warm house--even more so for the time I'd spent wet and cold. It really does make a difference! We need black to understand white, cold to understand hot, happy to understand sad. Life's oppositions teach us gratitude.

I love what Lehi teaches his son: "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things" (2 Nephi 2:11). I am learning gratitude for life's "rainy days" so that I can love being warm and dry. And the greatest warmth and happiness comes from the divine love of Christ: "Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee" (Jeremiah 31:3).

1 comment: