Friday, August 29, 2014

Ice Cream & Self Control

In Arlington, there is an ice cream shop that sells delicious homemade dark chocolate ice cream called "Decadence." Amazing. However, when I got transferred out of the Arlington, I didn't get to revisit the shop. A month later, my companion and I were asked to go to Arlington on business. I suggested we take a lunch break at this ice cream shop.

They weren't selling "Decadence" that day! What impudence! I had to settle for regular chocolate, and while good, it was not the same.

There is no satisfactory substitute for true goodness. President Hinckley has said: “In all this world there is no substitute for personal integrity. . . It includes doing what is right regardless of the circumstances" (Integrity). Integrity is true goodness of the soul.

Now, if I were to do a true analogy between my experience at the ice cream shop and matters of character, I'd wish the regular chocolate has been titled "Decadence" and the dark chocolate "Decency."

A person with true integrity also has self-control. Prophets have always directed us to develop self-mastery; I love this quote by David O. McKay:
“Spirituality is the consciousness of victory over self, and of communion with the Infinite. Spirituality impels one to conquer difficulties and acquire more and more strength. To feel one’s faculties unfolding and truth expanding the soul is one of life’s sublimest experiences" (The Power of Self-Mastery).
I know that avoiding decadence and developing self-control can bring us happiness. And sometimes it starts with baby steps . . . like having a single scoop of chocolate ice cream instead of double :)

1 comment: