Saturday, July 12, 2014

Good Music for Missionaries

Who doesn't love finding good music? Since my mission, I've been on a constant quest. We have certain guidelines as missionaries; here is what the Missionary Handbook says about music:
Listen only to music that is consistent with the sacred spirit of your calling. Music should invite the Spirit, help you focus on the work, and direct your thoughts and feelings to the Savior. Do not listen to music that pulls your thoughts away from your work, merely entertains, has romantic lyrics or overtones, or dulls your spiritual sensitivity by its tempo, beat, loudness, lyrics, or intensity.
I didn't even bring an iPod on my mission, I thought these rules were so restricting. I couldn't listen to anything I had at home, so I might as well forget about music for 18 months.

That philosophy worked for the MTC (Missionary Training Center). Then I got into the field, and I wanted music. The process of searching for music has opened my eyes to how much is available . . . and more than just renditions of hymns (as much as I love those) and EFY (which also has its place). There are musicians everywhere that have Christian songs. There is more uplifting music available than I thought.

I've even found some artists I'll still listen to when I go home. I've also learned the importance of being more selective of music. Uplifting music does have power to invite Christ into our life.

What uplifting music have you found in your life? What artists? Please post below.

1 comment: