Saturday, July 26, 2014

Finding Strength in our Ancestors

In the hot and humid Virginia summer, my companion and I trudged up George Mason Drive (Arlington, VA). We were on our way to an appointment, and I did not have a good attitude. Part of me just wanted to lay under a tree and never move; heat has a way of taking your strength out of you.

However, I drew additional strength from this story of my pioneer ancestor, Agnes Birrell. On July 20, 1859, Thomas McIntyre recorded this in his journal:
At 7 a.m. we are again on the pull[.] I am assisted at my cart by 3 young girls 1 English 1 Welsh & the other Scotch[.] For pulling the Scotch lassie could beat the others and was a team of herself her name was Agnes Berrell [Birrell], the Welsh girl Ann Lewis was subject to fainting spells which was very ackward in travelling as I had occasionally to let go the cart to catch her from falling, the English girl Sarah Tuffley was quiet and did not care whether the cart came along or not. (Thomas McIntyre).
Of the three girls assisting Thomas McIntyre, my ancestor "could beat the others" and "was a team of herself." Of the three available legacies, I inherited one of hard work. Instead of being weak or apathetic, Agnes was dedicated to the work of the Lord. Now, here I am involved in the work of the same Lord, and I must go on.

The Lord's work is the work of salvation; it is "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39). It is an important work! As the Lord has said, "shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad" (D&C 18:22).

No comments:

Post a Comment